Delicious Caramel Pudding Flan Cake.
Caramel Flan Cake is a combination of two exotic desserts, smooth and creamy custard flan on top with a delicious moist vanilla sponge cake base. If you are a custard and cake lover, then trust me it doesn’t get better than this.
I prefer wet caramel in general for flan cake like this or anything I would use caramel for because it helps prevent forming of crystallisation, whereas in dry caramel the sugar starts to melt and to caramelise unevenly, which creates crystals if not made properly and ultimately will end up by doing the process all over again.
What is Wet and Dry Caramel?
Wet caramel is basically made by combaining a small amount of water into the sugar when caramelising and dry caramel is just made with sugar and no water.
Why to water bath a cake?
Water bath helps to add moisture to the oven which prevents the cake from cracking from the heat of the oven and it will avoid custard from becoming rubbery with the moist heat.
Custard is used in this recipe is a sweet cream, made of whole eggs, condensed milk, low fat dairy milk and some vanilla essence.
Using whole whole eggs for custard, helps to hold up the custard and have more structure when it is turned out of the pan .
This cake needs to be refrigerated for couple of hours before consuming. I prefer to make this cake one day prior to any occasion so the custard sets well.
Delicious Caramel Custard Flan Cake
- Hand mixer
- Mixing bowls
- 4 Nos Whole Eggs
- 1 Cup Condensed milk (300 grams)
- 1.5 Cup Milk (375 ml)
- 1 Tsp Vanilla essence
- 4 Nos Egg yolks
- 1/4 Cup Sugar (50 grams)
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable oil (60 ml)
- 1/4 Cup Milk (60 ml) Low fat
- 1 Cup All purpose flour (125 grams)
- 1 Tsp Vanilla essence
- 1 Tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
For Whipping egg white:
- 1/3 Cup Sugar (65 grams)
- 4 Nos Egg whites
- 1 Tsp Lime juice
How to make caramel sauce and set the baking tin
- Take sugar in a pan, add little water and combine both well together. Keep the heat to medium and swirl the mixture continuously.
- Take off the heat once it's brown in colour, which means it's already caramelised.
- Transfer the hot caramel sauce into a mould or a baking tin and swirl carefully to cover the base of the mould.
- Set it aside to cool down completely.
How to make Flan or custard creme
- In a mixing bowl take whole eggs,condensed milk,low fat dairy milk and vanilla essence.
- With the help of a whisk, beat the eggs well along with the other ingredients and keep it aside.
How to make Vanilla sponge cake
- In another mixing bowl take egg yolks, granulated sugar and mix well with the help of a whisk until sugar dissolves.
- Now add low fat dairy milk, vegetable oil,vanilla essence and give it a good mix.
- Sieve all purpose flour in the wet ingredients, add baking powder and salt too at this point.
- Incorporate all the ingredients together by making sure no lumps are formed.
- In another mixing bowl, take egg whites, lime juice, add granulated sugar in batches and whipp until soft peaks.
- Gradually transfer the whipped egg white in batches into the cake mixture and mix until nice and creamy.
How to create layers for the cake
- First transfer the prepared custard mixture into the mould which is covered with caramel syrup.
- Now carefully transfer the vanilla cake batter on top of the custard mixture without disturbing the bottom layer.
- To water bath a cake, add hot water in a tray and place the baking mould and bake for around 35 minutes or until the toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Once the cake is baked, keep it aside to cool down completely and then refrigerate for few hours or overnight.
- Take out of the refregirator and with the help of a knife, loosen the edges of the mould.
- Now place a plate or a round tray on top of the baking mould and quickly flip over to unmould the cake.
- This delicious vanilla sponge caramel flan cake is ready to be served.
- Do not use a spatula or a spoon while caramelising the sugar because it will crystalise the sugar and make it hard.
- Be careful when coating the baking tin with caramel syrup because it is hot, use gloves to avoid any harm to yourself.
- Sugar can be added to replace condensed milk in the custard creme.