Goan Beef Roulade Recipe.
Beef Roulade is traditional German recipe. The thin beef steaks are wrapped around pork fat, bacon or sausages and veggies like potatoes, carrots, bell pepper etc and thereafter simmered in ground paste.
It is said that this delicious dish was originated in Europe. The word Roulade originates form a French word Rouler which means “To Roll” This dish is found in various European cuisines and was once prepared only on a Sunday or on any special occasions in many European homes. Roulade is traditionally served for dinner.
CLICK HERE to Subscribe to my You Tube channel for more recipes like this.
Goan Beef Roulade Recipe – Video
This is a Goan version of Beef Roulade also known as Beef Rouladen. The filling used in this dish varies from region to region.Some use smoked bacon, chopped onions and chopped pickles along with some veggies, at times it is varied by adding minced meat or sausage meat along with veggies.
How to make Goan Beef Roulade Recipe
Prep time : 45 mins
Cook time : 30 mins
Total time : 75 mins
Goan Beef Roulade Recipe step by step recipe with photos.
- Beef (Sliced & tenderised) – 500 gms
- Garlic cloves – 10
- Cloves – 12
- Cinnamon stick – 1 inch
- Black peppercorns – Half tsp
- Cumin seeds – Half tsp
- Green chillies – 4
- Ginger – 1 & half inch
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves (chopped) – Half cup
- Vinegar – 1/4 cup
- Water – 1/4 cup (For grinding)
- Water – 2 cups (For cooking)
- Bell pepper julienne/Capsicum (for stuffing)
- Potato julienne (for stuffing)
- Carrot julienne (for stuffing)
- Pork with fat (for stuffing)
- Finely chopped Onions – 2 (Medium)
- Finely chopped Tomato – 1 (Medium)
- Cooking oil – 4 tbsp
- Salt – As per taste
1. Into a grinder add garlic cloves, ginger, cloves, cinnamon stick, peppercorns, cumin seeds, green chillies, turmeric powder, coriander leaves, vinegar, water and grind into a smooth paste.
2. Marinate the sliced and tenderised beef steaks with salt and ground masala paste and set it aside for 2 hours.
3. Cut the Potatoes, Carrots and Bell pepper into julienne and keep aside to use later for stuffing the beef steaks.
4. For stuffing place the beef steak on a cutting board or a plate, place veggies and pork fat or sausages on the top and roll tightly.
5. Secure the stuffed veggies inside the rolls with a toothpick or tie them with a thread.
6. In a hot pan, add cooking oil and finely chopped onions and fry until translucent, add finely chopped tomatoes and fry until soft and mushy and then add the remaining ground paste and water and allow it to simmer for sometime.
7. Once the gravy starts to bubble, transfer all the beef rolls into the pan.
8. Check and add more salt if required.
9. Cover and cook on a medium to low heat.
10. Put off the heat once the gravy thickens and the meat is nice and tender.
11. Serve while it’s nice and hot.
- Instead of pork fat you can even use sausages or bacon for stuffing the beef steaks with veggies.
- Keep some ground paste aside to use it for cooking the beef rolls.
- You can add the remaining chopped veggies while cooking the beef roulade and those can be used to garnish the dish.
- You can also remove the toothpicks before serving.
Disclosure: This page contains affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links or promo code, at no cost to you. Using my affiliate links, you are helping me keep my blog up and running and for that, I thank you.
Click on the links below to buy now:
Measuring Cups and Spoons Set : https://geni.us/TeFaXw
Kitchen Cooking Spoons : https://geni.us/U4qrH
Kitchen Knife Set : https://geni.us/EIFX
Cookware Pots and Pans Set : https://geni.us/zKZFiMb