Goan Dodol Recipe.
Goan Dodol is a popular and an authentic sweet dish made with Palm Jaggery, Sugarcane Jaggery, thick Coconut milk and Rice flour, and by also adding Cardamom powder to give an intense flavor for this smooth and creamy, melt in the mouth pudding recipe.
Dodol is prepared mostly during Christmas time and is served as a part of Christmas goodies platter. The process of making this dish is time consuming, but it is incredibly tasty and it will definitely take your taste buds to a heavenly ride.
CLICK HERE to Subscribe to my You Tube channel for more recipes like this.
Dodol is popular in west coast of India among the Roman Catholics. This sweet dish is originated from Indonesia, but is also very popular in Southeast Asia and Indian subcontinents like Malaysia,Singapore, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Thailand etc.
Goan Dodol Recipe step by step with photos
Goan Dodol Recipe
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- Hand whisk
- Heavy bottom pan
- 1/2 Cup Rice flour (80 gms)
- 400 ml Coconut milk
- 1 Cup Palm Jaggery (130 gms)
- 1/3 Cup Sugarcane Jaggery (95 gms)
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Tsp Cardamom powder
- 15 Nos Cashew nuts (broken)
- 2 Pinches Salt
- 2 Cups Hot water (470 ml)
- In a bowl, take Palm jaggery and Sugarcane jaggery.
- Add hot water and mix until jaggery is completely dissolved.
- In another bowl, take fine rice flour, add hot water, mix it well until it is lump free and keep aside.
- Sieve the jaggery mixture in to the rice paste and mix thoroughly.
- Add Sugar, mix well and keep it aside.
- Now transfer the entire mixture into a pan or a pot and simmer continuously on medium heat.
- Once the mixture becomes half the quantity, add thick coconut milk and keep stirring continuously.
- When it starts to bubble, add Salt and Cardamom powder and mix.
- Add broken cashew nuts too at this point and mix.
- Take off the heat, once it starts leaving the sides of the pan.
- Transfer it in a mould, when it is still hot and level it evenly with a spatula or a spoon.
- Let it cool down completely.
- Once it is cooled completely, unmould it by loosening the sides with a knife.
- Cut into desired sizes and serve.
- Stir continuously, so it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan and burn.
- Consume within three days if kept at room temperature.
- For longer shelf life, keep it refrigerated.
- Palm jaggery is used to get a darker colour, add sugarcane jaggery, if you have a sweet tooth.