Goan Patoleo Recipe.
Patoleo’s are made of with Rice flour stuffed with coconut, jaggery and split bengal gram (channa daal) wrapped in turmeric leaves and then steamed. In Goa this dish is mostly prepared on the feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
Goan Patoleo -Video
CLICK HERE to Subscribe to my You Tube channel for more recipes like this.
For the outer Covering :
2 cups (400 gms) – Raw Rice (Soaked for 4 hours)
8 – 10 – Turmeric leaves (rinsed and wiped )
Salt as per taste
For the stuffing:
1 & half cup (150 gms) – Grated Coconut
1 cup (130 gms) – Jaggery
Half cup (90 gms) – Split bengal gram (channa daal)
1/4 tsp – Cardamom powder (Elaichi)
Pinch of Salt
Step by step written Goan Patoleo Recipe
1. First heat the pan & add 1 & half cup grated coconut and 1 cup jaggery, let the jaggery melt on a low flame.
2. Add half cup boiled split bengal gram (channa daal) once the jaggery is melted and mix it.
3. Now add a pinch of salt and 1/4 tsp cardamom powder & mix well to incorporate all three ingredients thoroughly.
4. Once it’s done leave it aside to cool down completely.
For the outer covering:
1. Grind the raw rice which was soaked for 4 hours into a smooth paste, make sure not to add too much water or else the batter will be thin and difficult to apply on the turmeric leaves.
2. Transfer the batter in a bowl, add salt as per taste and mix well.
3. Now take the batter & apply a thin even layer on the turmeric leaf.
4. Put the coconut stuffing on one side of the leaf & seal the edges by pressing gently on all sides.
5. Continue doing the same for the remaining Patoleo’s/ Rice dumplings.
6. Place the Patoleo”s/Rice dumplings in the steamer when it’s ready, steam for around 20 minutes on a medium flame.
7. Take them out of the steamer, allow them cool down a bit before serving, unwrap the leaf and enjoy the delicious Patoli / Rice dumpling.
Additional Recipe Notes
Leave some space at the edges of the leaves while applying the rice batter as we don’t want the batter to spread all over in the steamer and it also helps to seal the edges properly after the stuffing is filled.
If the leaves are too long then cut them into halves, so they fit in the steamer.
The colour of the turmeric leaves change when steamed, it also fill the whole kitchen with that beautiful aroma of turmeric leaves.
You can use any Jaggery of your choice. (Sugarcane or Palm Jaggery)
Disclosure: This page contains affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links or promo code, at no cost to you. Using my affiliate links, you are helping me keep my blog up and running and for that, I thank you.
Click on the links below to buy now:
Measuring Cups and Spoons Set : https://geni.us/TeFaXw
Kitchen Cooking Spoons : https://geni.us/U4qrH
Kitchen Knife Set : https://geni.us/EIFX
Cookware Pots and Pans Set : https://geni.us/zKZFiMb