Goan Prawns/Shrimp Pulao Recipe
Prawns/Shrimps Pulao is a one pot dish which is cooked with Prawns or Shrimps. The prawns or shrimps are first fried with the flavourful spices, onions and tomatoes and then cooked along with basmati rice. This is a very simple dish yet so delicious. It is also called Arroz in Goa which is a Spanish word for rice, also known as Al- Ruzz in Arabic.
Pulao also known as Pilaf is claimed to be originated from ancient Persia, some say it was originated in ancient India and was called Pula meaning dish of rice. This seafood dish is packed with mild spices and is incredibly tasty.
CLICK HERE to Subscribe to my You Tube channel for more recipes like this.
Goan Prawn/Shrimp Pulao Recipe – Video
I have shared more recipes of pulao before on my youtube channel. There are different ways of making Pulao. This is a very common dish that you will see at almost every Goan occasion. I have used big prawns for this recipe which saves a lot of time when cleaning, you can use any size prawns available in the market.
How to make Prawns/Shrimp Pulao Recipe
Prep time : 20 mins
Cook time : 25 mins
Total time : 45 mins
Goan Prawns/Shrimp Pulao Recipe step by step recipe with photos.
Basmati Rice – 2 & half Cup (350 gms)
Fresh Prawns – 250 gms
Cooking oil – 4 tbsp
Butter – 1 tbsp
Black peppercorns – 12
Cinnamon stick – 1 & half inch
Cloves – 10
Bay leaves – 3
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp
Onions finely chopped – 2 (Medium)
Tomato finely chopped – 1 (Large)
Green chillies (slitted) – 2
Maggi seasoning cubes (powdered) – 8
Biryani masala – 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tbsp
Hot water – 4 Cups (1000 ml)
1. Wash Basmati rice in 3 to 4 changes of water and soak for at least 30 minutes before cooking.
2. Season fresh prawns with Salt and keep it aside.
3. Heat cooking oil in a pan, add Black peppercorns, Cinnamon stick, Cloves and Bay leaves. Let them sizzle for few seconds on a medium flame.
4. Add Ginger and Garlic paste and sauté until the raw smell disappear.
5. Add Finely chopped Onions and sauté until translucent, then add green chillies (slitted) and mix.
6. Now add finely chopped tomatoes and sauté until mushy and oil begins to separate.
7. Add the seasoned fresh Prawns/Shrimps and fry till slight golden brown in colour on both sides.
8.Add Maggi seasoning cubes (powdered) and Biryani masala powder & mix.
9. Add turmeric powder, soaked rice, boiled water and mix well.
10. Cover and cook, let it bubble for at least 4 to 5 minutes on a high flame, then reduce the heat and cook till water is absorbed.Once cooked open the pan and fluff up the rice.
11. Prawns/Shrimps Pulao is ready to be served.
Do not over fry the Prawns as they will turn hard and rubbery.
You can use chicken or Veg seasoning cubes (whichever is available)
Use Basmati rice for good results.
Soaking rice in water before cooking helps the rice to cook to long and fluffy grains.
Check the rice in between so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan or burn.
You can garnish it with coriander leaves and serve.