Goan Stuffed Squids/Calamari Recipe.
Squids or Calamari are absolutely delicious in any form. This is simple stuffed squids recipe, wherein the stuffing is made with Goan Rechado Masala paste, chopped tomatoes, chopped onions, chopped green chillies & finely chopped squids tentacles. These stuffed Squids tubes are then cooked with the same masala to make the best mouth watering seafood dish.
The staple food of Goa is Fish curry and Rice.Goa is situated on the west cost of India and sea food is the main cuisine of Goa. Fresh River fish is also consumed in a high quantity. Lunch and Dinner in any household is incomplete without at least one sea food dish on their plate. Fishing was done on a large scale back then but it is rapidly declining as per the latest official figures. Having said that fishing is still an exciting and fun activity for some people during their spare time.
CLICK HERE to Subscribe to my You Tube channel for more recipes like this.
Goan Stuffed Squids/Calamari Recipe – Video
To give this Recipe a little twist I have used chopped Prawns in the stuffing which make this dish even more delicious. Check out the recipe in the video below.
How to make Goan Stuffed Squids/Calamari Recipe
Prep time : 40 mins
Cook time : 20 mins
Total time : 60 mins
Goan Stuffed Squids/Calamari Recipe step by step recipe with photos.
Squids/Calamari – 1 Kg
Prawns (finely chopped) – 100 gms (for stuffing)
Cooking oil – 3 tbsp (for stuffing)
Finely chopped Onions (Medium) – 2 (for stuffing)
Finely chopped Tomato (Medium) – 1 (for stuffing)
Finely chopped Green chilly – 1 (for stuffing)
Goan Rechado masala paste – 3 tbsp (for stuffing)
Cooking oil – 4 tbsp
Finely chopped Onion (Medium) – 1
Goan Rechado masala paste – 2 tbsp
Water – 1 cup
Salt – As per taste
1. Clean and wash the squids thoroughly, apply salt and keep aside.
2. Apply salt to the finely chopped squids tentacles and finely chopped prawns and keep aside to use it in the stuffing.
3. Heat cooking oil and fry the finely chopped onions until translucent, then add chopped tomatoes, chopped green chillies and sauté until tomatoes are mushy.
4. Add finely chopped prawns and squid tentacles, fry until water is released and cooked properly, then add Rechado Masala and fry for another 2 minutes or so on low heat.
5. Let the stuffing cool before filling the squid tubes.
6. Stuff the squids tubes up to three fourth leaving some room for the squids to expand while cooking.
7. Seal the opening of each squid with a toothpick to ensure the stuffing is secured inside while cooking.
8. On a high flame, heat a pan and add oil. When oil is hot, add the finely chopped onions.Once onions are translucent, add Goan Rechado masala and saute until oil separates.
9. Add stuffed squids and one cup of water. Cover and cook on a high medium heat for about 5 minutes.
10. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook until nice and tender. Switch off the heat once squids are cooked and gravy thickens.
11. Dish out,Garnish and Serve.
Do not fill the squids tubes fully because while cooking the squids will open and the masala will come out.
Overcooking will make the squids rubbery.
The stuffed squids can be shallow fried too.
These stuffed squids can be served with rice as a main course also or can be served as a starter dish.
Click the link below for any purchases from Amazon!!!
Amazon UK : https://amzn.to/313ogHL