Mutton/Lamb Curry Recipe (Rogan Josh)
Mutton curry is full of exceptional flavours to relish, made with onions and tomatoes cooked with spices, also known as Rogan Josh. It is a world famous Indian delicacy, common in Northern India and is served with steamed rice or freshly made naan (Indian bread) in Indian restaurants which is a popular food item on the menu list.
Rogan josh is of Persian origin which is a signature recipe of Kashmiri cuisine. It was introduced to Kashmir by the Mughals. Rogan means Oil in Persian and Josh means Passion.
CLICK HERE to Subscribe to my You Tube channel for more recipes like this.
The mutton can be cooked in heavy bottomed pan on a low heat until it’s tender. I have prepared this dish in a pressure cooker to save time. I have only used red chilli powder, but Kashmiri chilli powder also can be used in addition. Paprika can be used to replace Kashmiri chilli powder.
Mutton/Lamb Curry (Rogan Josh) – Video
How to make Mutton/Lamb Curry (Rogan Josh)
Prep time : 30 mins
Cook time : 40 mins
Total time : 70 mins
Mutton/Lamb Curry (Rogan Josh) step by step recipe with photos.
- Mutton/Lamb (with bones) – 1 kg
- Cashew nuts – 10
- Kashmiri chillies (Dry) – 6
- Cinnamon sticks – 3 (1 & half inch)
- Cloves – 10
- Green Cardamom – 5
- Black pepper corns – 12
- Black cardamom – 5
- Bay leaves – 4
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1 tbsp
- Red chilli powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – Half tsp
- Coriander leaves (Finely chopped)
- Onion (chopped) – 2 (medium)
- Tomatoes (chopped) – 2 (large)
- Cooking oil – 3 tbsp
- Salt – As per taste
1. Dry roast Cashew nuts,Kashmiri chillies,Cinnamon sticks,Green Cardamom and Cloves for about 3 to 4 minutes.
2. Fry Chopped onions until translucent and keep aside to cool down.
3. Transfer the dry roasted spices into a jar and grind into coarse powder.
4. Now add chopped tomatoes and fried onions to the spice powder and grind into a smooth paste.
5. Marination process:
- Season with Salt
- Add the prepared ground paste
- Add Ginger and garlic paste
Mix and keep it aside for for at least for 2 to 3 hours.
6. Cooking process:
- In a pressure cooker heat cooking oil on a medium flame.
- Add black peppercorns, black cardamom and bay leaves.
- Add marinated Mutton/Lamb and half cup water once the spices splutter or until the colour is changed slightly.
- Now add all the spice powders (Coriander, Cumin, Garam masala, Red chilli and Turmeric)
- Mix well and pressure cook.
- After 4 whistles, take it off the heat.
- Now add chopped coriander leaves and simmer it for 2 minutes on low heat.
7. Dish out and serve with steamed rice or naan (Indian bread)
- Deseed the tomatoes before grinding.
- If you are not using pressure cooker ,then cover and cook in a heavy bottomed pan until meat is tender.
- Any kind of cut meat can be used for this recipe, but I prefer with bones because it adds more flovour to the dish.
Disclosure: This page contains affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links or promo code, at no cost to you. Using my affiliate links, you are helping me keep my blog up and running and for that, I thank you.
Click on the links below to buy now:
Measuring Cups and Spoons Set : https://geni.us/TeFaXw
Kitchen Cooking Spoons : https://geni.us/U4qrH
Kitchen Knife Set : https://geni.us/EIFX
Cookware Pots and Pans Set : https://geni.us/zKZFiMb